|Afternoon indulgence; the ladies :)|
So google (and common knowledge) tells me that High Tea (or Afternoon Tea as referred to by some), was traditionally considered to be a ladies' social occasion. Call me traditional, but I think this is the one tradition we should stick to.
Now, I wouldn't regard myself as a High Tea expert, however, I've been to one too many to be able to identify which is good, which is better and which is just plain, erm well, plain.
My top 3 high tea destinations in Sydney are:
- Sir Stamford Circular Quay
- Westin Hotel
- Observatory Hotel
As I generally prefer savoury over sweet, I tend to judge my High Tea experience by the finger sandwiches. On all occasions I've had high tea at Sir Stamford, I've never been once disappointed. The sandwiches are freshly made and are always full of flavours. What's also good about high tea at Sir Stamford is the constant change in menu allowing guests to experience something different every time they come back for more. I recall my first experience, the eggplant sandwich was divine!
Last week was no different, after a few (5) of those shaved ham sandwiches, I kept wanting more despite how full I was getting!
- Sandwich 1; Poached egg, chive & bittercres
- Sandwich 2; Roasted chicken, mayonnaise & rocquette on whole meal
- Sandwich 3; Shaved leg ham with seeded dijon mustard
- Sandwich 4; Smoked Atlantic Salmon with
Moreover, notwithstanding the fact that I prefer savoury over sweet, the scones at Sir Stamford continues to win as the clear favourite. From countless anecdotes from friends and family who've been to Sir Stamford for High Tea, the scones always seem to rate extremely high with them. I guess it's due to the fact that it feels buttery soft and baked fresh, coupled with the sweet jam and double cream, it's a damn party in my mouth!!!
This is probably also the reason why Sir Stamford is more highly regarded than the others. Yes, the amazing scones!!!
- New seasons mango and yoghurt demitasse with mint and caramel shards (in the small cups with the fire looking thing sticking out) - I enjoyed this one!
- Black forest mini cup with chocolate mousse and cherries
- Glazed strawberry tarlet with mascapone creme patisserie
- White chocolate cupcake with ganache and dried raspberry
- Pecan, pistachio and butterscotch cannoli
|This is my sister (the Bride-to-be) at Sir Stamford for her hens last weekend. What she wore for her "black & gold" hen's theme; a custom-made off the shoulder gold/white dress with a black fascinator!|